Waiting to meet a train. John gets out to snap a picture. Where?
Images 1,4, 5,21 and 22 are locomotives of the "Winterrowd class P-2,2-8-2 series" built between 1919 and 1926. This particular class of locomotive was named after William Henry Winterrowd who served as the CPR's chief mechanical engineer from January 1918 to January 1921. There were approximately 174 units of this type built to form the backbone of the CPR's freight fleet up to the end of the steam era in 1960. The total number of locomotives on the CPR system reached an all time high of 2290 in 1924.
Locomotive construction occurred at three locations in Canada at the time. These large industrial complexes were the Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW), Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, Ontario and the Canadian Pacific Angus Shops in Montreal. Variations in design on similar classes of locomotives can be traced to idiosyncrasies of each manufacturer. One of the charms of steam power was the uniqueness of each locomotive. Locomotive 5300 shown in image 5 was one of the last of this type to be built at the Angus Shops in Montreal before it was designated for maintenance activity only. Locomotive number 5374 (image 22) was clearly a "survivor" and managed a useful life of 35 years before being returned to Angus Shops for disposal in 1961.
These locomotives were 87 feet in length and weighed 335000 pounds
fully loaded. Tender capacity was 10,000 gallons. Eight driver wheels
generating a total tractive effort of 57,100 pounds were a standard
diameter of 63 inches. The 54" x 120" firebox with a grate size of 70
square feet was exceptionally large for locomotives of this type.
To the Picture Index